February 10, 2013

does "normal" even exist?

she liked being by herself, but hated being lonely. she craved the rain even though it made her sad. she longs to travel, but gets homesick all too easily. she was a different type of girl; not someone you could easily define as normal. but what is normal, anyways? does a single "normal" person even exist, she wondered? she thought that to be a normal human being would be rather boring. what a sad existence, she decided, to have no quirks, no oddities or original personality to call your own. but maybe, she thought, if she tried harder to be "normal" (whatever that entails), to be like everybody else, she wouldn't stand out of the crowd like a sore thumb. then maybe people wouldn't stare at her as much or give her a scornful look whenever she gave a different kind of opinion or wore clothes unlike the other girls. after much thought, she decided that, no, she'd rather be herself than trying to be normal. she'd probably mess up at it anyways.

15 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful and so me. you have a beautiful way with words, m'dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oriana,

    this is beautiful. really, really, honestly, truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oriana, this is perfect. all so true. I find myself trying to be something else and in the end I always seem to find that being myself I'm the happiest and most comfortable.
    and plus, being "normal" is overrated. :) ;)
    :)
    thank you for sharing:) I love your writing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this, Oriana. and it's so true! i've long since given up on being "normal", because it's not who i am. i'm not normal--and i don't want to blend in with everyone around me; disappearing in the rules and expectations for 'teens'. :) normal is extremely over-rated. and everyone loves people who are just themselves so much more than others who try to be who everyone wants them to be. :)

    but this is beautiful, girl. so true. <3

    xoxxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this made me really happy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ori, I lovelovelove this and I truly hope we can meet someday because I KNOW we'd click. Just two days ago, I was considering writing a blog post about how I'm like that first sentence.. I like to be by myself.. a homebody.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is me. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. eep. you're so good at writing, oreo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. <3 This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love. it reminds me of a quote art i saw. ''if they're going to stare, make it worth while'' :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. love this. echoes my own self in some ways.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homebody's unite! I feel really bad about it, but sometimes all I want to do is stay home, drink cocoa and pin. It's very bad....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! I hate when people say they just want to be normal. Why would you want to blend in with other boring people? It's so much more fun being different.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect.
    Lonely but hates being alone, wants to travel but gets homesick... thats me.
    You writing is wonderful
    <3
    ~Abigail
    http://sweetergetsthejourneyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

you're a peach.